Quantity Surveying Fundamentals
The aim of the Quantity Surveying Fundamentals course is to provide delegates with a core knowledge and understanding of Quantity Surveying techniques and issues relating to best practice including cost and contract management.
Who should study this course?
Quantity Surveying Fundamentals is most suitable for those in the construction industry who wish to learn about quantity surveying principles. The course is also relevant to professionals who are interested in moving in to the quantity surveying field.
Relevant for both UK and internationally based students.
The total study time is 150 hours which is equal to about six hours per week.
This quantity surveying course includes an introduction to the principles, tools and techniques used in the commercial management of construction projects. It will enable a candidate to understand the breadth of skills required by a quantity surveyor.
At the end of this course you should:
- understand the alternative construction details available in relation to functional elements of the design,
- understand the way a project is structured and delivered in terms of contractual relationships and their associated risk allocation,
- be aware of the factors that affect the cost of a project and individual elements,
- be able to produce an order of cost estimate and understand the cost planning process,
- know how projects are tendered and contractors selected,
- be familiar with the traditional measurement approach and appreciate how computer measurement software operates,
- have the ability to measure in accordance with a standard method of measurement, or set of rules, in order to produce a bill of quantities,
- be able to build up a unit rate for an item in a bill of quantities and understand how a tender is priced,
- understand the components of a construction contract and the provisions for managing time, payment, change and disputes,
- understand control of costs during the construction phase including cash flow forecasting and cost reporting.
A twenty-four week course delivered online with tutor support and online forums. The online delivery method will allow you to study wherever you may be. Working at a time and place that suits your needs.
Using a combination of audio and visual learning methods the course is designed to take a complex subject and present this in an easy-to-understand format.
- Construction technology and environmental services
- Procurement and tendering
- Cost prediction and analysis
- Quantification and costing
- Contract practice
- Project financial control
- End assessment
The study support guide will assist you in structuring the time required to spend on each technical unit which will enable you to gain a full understanding of the content. You can move through the units at your own pace to suit your work commitments.
In addition to the course material there are topic forums and discussion forums which enable you to discuss issues with fellow delegates and the course tutor.
You will be able to check your progress through the course with self-assessment questions and case studies. Your final assessment is an online quiz with multiple choice questions. If you fail to meet the minimum score on your first attempt will have the opportunity to re-sit the online examination.
Further details on the course structure are available here.
There are no formal entry requirements for the Quantity Surveying Fundamentals course.
At the end of the study period there is an online quiz which will assess your learning.
On successful completion of the course you will receive a UCEM certificate of completion of “Quantity Surveying Fundamentals”.
Enrol today for the next cohort
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in any future cohorts.
Phone: +44 (0)118 921 4601